Nov 8, 2006

Paan at Angeethi

Tuesday night we went to this restaurant called Angeethi for Matt's farewell dinner. There were over 30 people there, from Dublin, MV and Australia offices. Angeethi is a north Indian restaurant specializing in Punjabi and tandoori dishes (aka HOT and SPICY.) The restaurant had a rual ambience complete with posters and carpets on the walls, accompanied with 5 star service, a real Hyderabad treat! This was my second Indian feast in one week, I was up for the challenge...

Ready to feast

We ordered a lot of food for the whole table, I made sure that some of the dishes were vegetarian. First appetizer was this dish called Papdi Chaat which was actually pretty good (at first.) It was crunchy, tangy, sweet -- it reminded me of crunchy Chinese chow mein. I thought I had found an Indian dish I really liked, but 5 seconds later my mouth was on FIRE! The Indian kick...so unexpected. All the other dishes were super spicy, I didn't eat much of it because I was trying to avoid an upset stomach. There was this great dish called corn methi malai, it was sweet corn mixed with yogurt and cheese, but again I had to be careful of the dairy.

As an Angeethi first timer Matt told us we had to try Indian Paan. Paan is an ethnic Indian chew served as dessert and believed to help with digestion. It's made with Betel leaf, rose petals, some other weird leaves and honey. For more info, Click Here. Needless to say, it wasn't the best dessert (actually kinda gross) but I toughed it out and ate it for the team and to my surprise, I didn't have an upset stomach in the morning! It was definitely an experience I'll remember.

Making the paan


I tried hard to swallow it without actually having to taste it!

Picture Link:
Click Me