Oct 4, 2006

Food or Gravy?

It's interesting the concept of gravy here in India. A lot of Indian dishes are made with vegetables and meat that floats in rich, flavorful (and often spicy) sauces and gravies. Funny thing is their concept of gravy is passed along into other types of food. On Monday night we ate at this restaurant called Far East, it was a posh Chinese restaurant located about 15km from our apt. The menu was extravagant, lots of different Asian dishes that you would expect to see on any Chinese menu. Looked safe - safe as in non Indian - to me. However when the food arrived it wasn't the same style of Chinese food we're all use to, you know the kind with light sauce and dressing that glazes on the vegetables and chicken. The food came in buckets of gravy and each time the waiter served me some of a dish he poured on tons of gravy onto my plate. I couldn't tell if I was having food or gravy? By the end of my meal my plate looked like a potporri of random colors.